Lansing’s Fourth Ward contains the Michigan state capitol and most state government buildings, as well as General Motors and sites of the former Reo and Verlinden plants. It stretches all the way to the far northwest corner of Ingham County at Sheridan Road. Lansing’s Old Town, including the Turner-Dodge Mansion, is part of the Fourth Ward, as are several historic neighborhoods on the city’s near west side. The Michigan School for the Blind was in this part of town. It contains the scenic Moores River Drive neighborhood along the Grand River. Lansing Community College’s main campus is in this ward, as is the Downtown Lansing branch of the Capital Area District Libraries, and Cooley Law School.
Compiled by Heidi Butler, Local History Specialist, Capital Area District Library Downtown Branch
Bowman, Timothy. City Council Members Project. 2013. Research Collections, Forest Parke Library and Archives, Capital Area District Libraries.
Caterino, David. 6 Wards in Use, 1900-1916 [map]. N.D. Subject Files, Forest Parke Library and Archives, Capital Area District Libraries.
Caterino, David. “8 Wards in Use, 1917- [map].” N.D. N.D. Subject Files, Forest Parke Library and Archives, Capital Area District Libraries.
City Clerk’s Office. “Lansing Annexations to 1958 [map].” 1958. N.D. Subject Files, Forest Parke Library and Archives, Capital Area District Libraries.
City of Lansing. Proposed City Charter. 1955.
City of Lansing. “Ward, Precinct, and Poll Map.” 2015. PDF file. https://www.lansingmi.gov/DocumentCenter/View/187
The Lansing Ward History Project Resident Historian Research
The Hall of Justice, dedicated in 2002, is headquarters for the state’s judicial branch of government. It houses court offices and courtrooms for the Michigan Supreme Court and Court of Appeals..... Read on...