Low-Income Housing and Government Assistance

Housing Assistance

Homeless Shelters: Lansing is home to many homeless shelters which can provide temporary assistance to those in need. For a full list of homeless shelters in the Lansing area, click here.

Overnight Shelters

Loaves and Fishes: 831N. Sycamore, 517-482-2099  

Haven House: 121 Whitehills Dr, East Lansing, 517-337-2731  

City Rescue Mission (Men): 613 E. Michigan Avenue, 517-485-0145  

City Rescue Mission (Women and Children): 2216 S. Cedar St, 517-485-0145  

Volunteers of America Shelter: 430 N. Larch St, 517-484-4414

Day Shelters  

Volunteers of America (M-F): 430 N. Larch Street, 517-489-5296  

Advent House Ministries (Sa-Su): 743 N. MLK Jr. Blvd, 517-485-4722  

City Rescue Mission (Men): 613 E. Michigan Avenue, 517-485-0145  

City Rescue Mission (Women and Children): 2216 S. Cedar St, 517-485-0145

Domestic Violence Shelters  

EVE: 517-372-5572  

MSU Safe Place: 517-485-0145

Down Payment Assistance: The City of Lansing can help you purchase a home through its Down Payment Assistance Program (DPA).Click here for more information.

Homeowner Rehabilitation Program: The City of Lansing's Development Office uses funding made available by the Department of Housing and Urban Development to provide a combination of grants and 0% interest loans for City residents to improve their homes through housing rehabilitation and/or repair of life threatening emergencies. Click here for more information.

Housing Repair Emergencies: A home repair emergency is a condition that requires immediate repair, such as a furnace that has been red-tagged as unsafe by the City or by Consumers Energy. Click here for more information.

Lead Safe Lansing: If you are interested in lead-based paint remediation, The City of Lansing offers up to $16,000 in grant funds for remediating lead-based paint hazards for eligible homeowners, tenants, and landlords. Click here for more information.

Program Income Limits: View the table of income limits that determine eligibility for housing assistance programs at http://lansingmi.gov/244/Program-Income-Limits

For more information, call the Development Office at 517-483-4040.

Mortgage Assistance: Contact Capital Area Community Services for information on mortgage assistance programs.

Short and Long-Term Housing Assistance: Contact the Lansing Housing Commission for short term and long term housing assistance.

Utility Assistance

Low Income Sewer Utility Credit: This program is designed to help low income homeowners pay their sewage fees. Eligible homeowners can claim a credit and receive up to a $60 credit if their sewer bill exceeds 2% of their household income. Call the Treasury office at 517-483-4121 or click here.

Additional Resources: If you cannot pay your Board of Water and Light Bill, call them at 517-702-6006 to work out a payment plan. You can also contact Capital Area Community Services for information on utility assistance programs, at 517-393-7077 or https://cacs-inc.org/.  

The Tri-County Office on Aging (TCOA) Crisis Services for the Elderly provides limited assistance for non-medical emergencies, such as utility shut off notices and prescription drug issues, for adults 60 and older in Ingham, Eaton, and Clinton Counties 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Contact 517-887-1440.

Food Assistance

Women, Infants, and Children: Information on the Ingham County WIC program can be found here. Information on the Eaton County WIC program can be found here.

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF): TANF is a program run by the State of Michigan Department of Health and Human Services. To learn more about the TANF program and the benefits provided click here.